Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Why guitar method books are weak part 2

In a previous post I talked about the need for a new guitar method which corrected some of the problems found in other methods.

The three problems I mentioned were:

1. They move too quickly.
2. They teach new notes in groups of three according to string tuning rather than adding one or two at a time.
3. They begin with modal music that sounds funny.

These problems are interrelated and I'll try to explain my thoughts on these. Let's start with the way most methods begin.

Most methods begin by teaching E, F and G on the first string. They teach these with little modal songs which begin and end on E (Phrygian) or G (Mixolydian). I really don't have much problem with this part. This is fine a fine way to start and is very logical in relation to the instrument's tuning. It's also consistant with other methods. It's what they do next that irks me.

After playing a few simple tunes with these notes, the student is then asked to learn 3 new notes, B, C and D, on another string. Usually the same or very similar modal pieces are used to teach these notes. They just transpose them to the keys to fit B, C and D.

Next, after learning to play these simple pieces, they throw all 6 notes into one song. This is where I've found I lose people. At this point they kind of give up. They had really been thinking high, middle, low for the three notes on each string and now they're asked to do something much more difficult.
I think that a much simpler and rational approach would be to add one note at a time. After a few years of searching, I found one method that kind of does this. Everybody's Guitar Method, which I linked in the other post, adds a note at a time after the first 3 notes are taught. Honestly, it still moves a little fast but at least they've taken a step in the right direction.

The only method for guitar that I've ever seen that does a good job with the add-a-note-at-a-time method and isn't modal is the First Act method that comes with their First Act guitars. That's right, the Wal-Mart guitars! Say what you will, but they start with G and the guitar is basicaly a key of G instrument. They add A, B, C and D progressively.

Think about it. When you learn G, A and B you've learned to read 3 notes of which only one is fretted, you're able to play simple tonal (non-modal) beginner songs found in every other instruments method book such as Hot Cross Buns, Au Claire De Lune and the simplified Mary Had a Little Lamb.

They stay a long time with those first three notes, which is consistent with methods for other instruments. The student learns to read well with different rhythms and develops a level of self esteem. Let's face it the technique required to play the guitar is confounding enough without having to also deal with an instruction method which is actually harder than other instruments.

My problem with the kids' First Act method is that it is very short. It doesn't go beyond those 5 or 6 notes. Maybe there's a 'book two' or maybe a similar edition for older students. So I actually use something different in class. I think I've arrived at something which may be about perfect. It allows students to move at a pace which is slow enough to not frustrate. Also, it's tonal and the songs are immediately recognizable .

The best part of it is that I didn't have to make the whole thing up myself (or even transpose it). It was right there in front of me! I'll talk more about it next time.

No comments: