Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2007

My class guitar grading rubric

October 26, 2010 edit: I have a more recent rubric which can be found here.  It better reflects my current teaching methods.


http://classroomguitar.blogspot.com/2010/01/updated-class-grading-rubicgrading.html

The following is the original 2007 post:

This is the basic rubric I use. I weigh them differently depending on how far along we are and may add others later. For example, the first couple of weeks I might assign 50 points of a playing grade toward the "elbow on the hip" because I really want them to understand the importance of that one.

I give a lot of weight to the first three or four items under technique at the beginning because once they're learned properly the students can play without looking at their fingers and don't have to unlearn nasty habits.

The first week or two I assign about 5 or 10 points total to the general performance items. I've found that if they've got the technique right, these first easy songs will be correct anyway. Most beginner's problems with playing beginner songs correctly stems from their not being able to play notes without looking at their fingers, losing their place because their looking at their fingers and not being able to reach certain notes because of poor Left Hand (LH) technique.

Guitar Playing Rubric

Technique
· Elbow on the ‘hip’ of the guitar. (50 points this week)
· “Thumbs up” – LH thumb behind the neck, pointing up. (20 pts - this is fundamental esp. for small hands)
· Fingertips pressing strings against thumb. (Teacup pinch) (7 pts - this will definitely be higher each week. They have to learn to play with fingertips)
· Fingers spaced to fit the frets (7 pts - this one needs to be increased too. They can't get the 3rd fret note without looking at their hand and sliding unless they learn to feel this finger spread)
· Rest Stroke – RH thumb comes to rest on the string below (6 pts I've got nylon stringed instruments. I would use the thumb even if they weren't. They can feel what they are doing better than with a pick. Also, playing it as a rest stroke teaches them to feel where they are without looking at their fingers)

Musicianship (I'll start hammering these more next week. We're doing them but I'm not grading it yet)
· Looking at music – even if you know it!
· Say the letter names in rhythm
· Tap your foot

General performance (10 pts - This will be fine the first couple of weeks if they're doing the above technique correctly. The songs are just so easy. Technique is the killer!)
· Play rhythm correctly – Steady beat; be sure to hold notes full value
· Play pitches correctly

Good left hand finger spacing









Poor left hand finger spacing

No comments: