Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

What's this blog about?

I'm starting this blog to record my own experiences teaching groups of (sometimes young) individuals to play guitar. I've found that this is no easy task.

My background:

I'm 34 years old with a degree in Choral Music Ed. I've played the guitar for about twenty years, taught public school choral and general music for about ten years, and taught private guitar lessons for ten years as well. I've taught up to 60 students a week in music stores and at a church with a school of fine arts.

In that time I've found that guitar instruction books move too quickly, are set up in a way that makes no sense and are basically useful only to individuals with exceptional talent and/or prior musical experience. And that's for individual lessons! Try using these books in a classroom setting with average ability/interest level students and they are very ineffective.

In this blog I'll address some of these problems and their possible solutions with the hopes that others with experience will join in the discussion. In my searches I haven't found very many resources that are useful for a large class setting. Please let me know if you find something that you think works. Again, not for just highly motivated 'nerds' like I was when I started out but something that will work with your average student.

No comments: