Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Arranging ensemble music for beginner middle school guitar students

It's getting close to the end of the year and I'm aiming to have my general music kids play guitar at my spring choir concert. I share a concert with our high school choir. So I'll have to keep it short.

We're working on a couple of things I've transcribed from beginner band arrangements. We're doing "What'd I Say?" by Ray Charles and "Don't Cry for Me Argentina".

The top two parts are mainly the first three strings of the guitar, the bottom part is the more difficult to read bass range stuff and the 3rd part is somewhere in between. I've got a 5th part written for Don't Cry for Me, Argentina that is a symplification of the 1st and second parts for my special ed students. I've made it mostly whole, half and quarter notes and have taken out most of the rests. I've also limited it to the first 3 strings.

I did the same kind of thing at Christmas. We performed a 3-part arrangement of Jingle Bells that I arranged, O Come All Ye Faithful and Up on the Housetop transcribed from a Sax trio book and Little Drummer Boy which I transcribed into 4 parts from a beginner band arrangement. Little Drummer Boy was so nice that I decided to do a couple for the spring concert.

We performed in the lobby of the hospital in town.

I really should be doing some of Bill Swick's Guitar Trios for first year but I'm out of money and can't purchase them now. The samples at classroomguitar.com looked perfect for a concert.

Right now I'm registering for the summer guitar workshop from MENC and GAMA. I'll try to post links later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Definitely try to take the Teaching Guitar Workshops that are available in level I and level II in various locations. I took level I in Colorado Springs this past July and it was the best money I ever spent! I cannot recommend it highly enough!!!! You come away with EASILY $500 of free books, materials, strings, capos, tuners - a new guitar of your choice (I chose and Taylor) and lots of support and training.