Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Teaching the Blues Part 4: Elements of Improvisation

In "Teaching the Blues Part 3",  I described how I introduce the pentatonic scale and improvisation on Day One of improvisation lessons.  In subsequent lessons I introduce the notes on the other strings, introduce new rhythms, introduce variations to the blues accompaniment patterns covered in Parts 1 and 2 of my Teaching the Blues posts, and have them individually improvise solos for the class using the phrases we've learned so far. In the days and weeks following, I introduce new material in three general areas: melodic phrasing and fretboard positions, rhythms, and accompaniment patterns. These are built upon gradually and across all of the areas simultaneously.

For example, on Day 2 I might simply teach them that the first string fingering is the same as the second string and have them practice soloing on the second string and alternating phrases on each string. Day three might involve teaching them a new rhythm using eighth notes. In another lesson I might teach them chord or blues shuffle variations to use in accompaniment.

I break up my instruction on Melodic/Rhythmic Phrasing into two parts. I teach the class whatever new notes/rhythms I want them to learn through the call-and-response method described above. Every few days, I'll introduce a new rhythm or notes from a new string into this exercise.

Then, I go around the class and have the student individually improvise a solo. Each student gets twelve bars to solo, and I encourage him/her to incorporate the new element .

At first, they may say that they don't know what to play, and you have to encourage them by reminding them that they can simply play the phrases written on the board in a different order until they're more comfortable with the process. It's a little like paint-by-numbers, but they're learning a "vocabulary" with which to "speak the blues language."

At the same time we're working on learning the entire scale. "Second string, same as the first.", "Fingers 1 and 3 on the next three strings", and "Sixth string, same as the first". After the first couple of lessons, I usually teach them the whole scale this way.

The class plays the scale as notated in the tablature at the top of this post, but in half notes with me playing a blues accompaniment. Now the scale's a song! In succeeding lessons I have them play it in quarter notes, eight notes, and triplets.

So, each day we're doing a few things:

1. As a group, the class echos my call-and-response phrases employing whatever notes/rhythms we're working on.

2. Half of the class plays these phrases from the board, simply written as numbers as a tune whille the other half of the class accompanies with chords or a shuffle-pattern accompaniment. We switch and let each side side have a turn with the other element.

3. Repeat the process from # 2 using the entire scale as the tune while the other group accompanies.

4. Go around the room letting each student solo for 12 bars.

All of this material is just to get you started. Find some instruction books, videos, and web lessons on The Blues. There’s a ton of material out there. And listen to the blues! My next post will be on putting it all together.

No comments: